DESCRIPTION1954 Ferrari 750 Monza Spyder by Scaglietti s/n 0462MD, Engine no. 0462MD (included) Rosso Corsa with Blue Cloth Interior During the early 1950s Ferrari ranked among the world's most competitive manufactures in international formula and sports car racing. Alberto Ascari had clinched the Formula One World Championship title two years running, and did so the second year using Ferrari's new Lampredi designed four cylinder twin overhead cam power plant. This confirmed the superior low speed torque characteristics offered an advantage, particularly on twisty circuits, and the decision was made for the 1953 season to equip Ferrari's sports racing cars, the Mondial and Monza, with the now proven Lampredi inline four cylinder platforms. In addition to the new power plant, Ferrari's design innovation and mechanical sophistication extended to the drive train. In Monza form, a 5-speed transaxle was fitted in conjunction with a de Dion independent rear axel assembly. This both improved weight distribution over the standard mounted transmissions used by other manufactures, as well as improved traction over road imperfections which defined many of the difficult road circuits of the era. Their innovation was so impressive in fact, that this particular chassis, s/n 0462MD, was acquired in period by Jaguar Cars, who commenced a complete disassembly and analysis to determine why Ferrari was able to continually out-pace the English entries! Among the first Monzas built; this example was sold new to Irish racer Joe Kelley of Dublin in September of 1954. Immediately, Kelley campaigned the car at the Dundrod and Leinster Trophy races. For Goodwood of the same year, future Formula One World Champion Mike Hawthorn would be entered as the driver, unfortunately retiring with rear axle troubles. After being acquired by Jaguar Works for performance evaluation against their venerable D-Type, the car was sold onward to Jaguar team driver and 1951 Le Mans winner Peter Whitehead. Sir Jack Brabham imported the car to Australia in 1955, where it was actively campaigned by Stan Coffey, Arnold Glass, Jack Neal, and Oliver Steel through the 1959 season. After passing through a documented series of known and respected collectors, s/n 0462MD began its Historic Competition career with the 1987 Mille Miglia retrospective, entered by owner at the time, Pietro Brigato of Vicenza, Italy. Other European owners included Engelbert Stieger of Switzerland, who ultimately sold the car via a respected Southern California dealer to Pat Smiekel, of Montecito, California in 1996. With the assistance of noted Ferrari collector Brandon Wang, ownership passed to Roberto Crippa, who proved to be an avid participant in various historic racing venues throughout mainland Europe before selling the car to fellow Italian Andrea Burani.
A Vehicle Identification Number is a unique serial number generated by the original manufacturer and permanently affixed to the vehicle.
CLASSIC CAR ID
The Classic Car ID is a designation assigned by AutoTrader Classics that lets users quickly return to cars they like.