DESCRIPTIONIntroduced in 1957, Maserati`s 3500 series is generally regarded to be their first whole-hearted effort at a regular production model. It provided a great deal of financial stability which offset the expense of Maserati`s heyday of competition in the World Championship. The car itself was available as a coupe with handsome Touring bodywork or the beautiful and considerably rarer Spyder with Vignale bodywork. The open bodywork of the Vignales featured their characteristic interesting details including a number of tasteful vents and scoops to augment the already well-proportioned and elegant lines. The Spyder also featured a marginally shorter wheelbase than the coupe, and just 232 were built over a five year period, compared to about 2000 coupes. Both open and closed cars were motivated by a beefy 3.5 litre twin cam/twin plug inline six, fed initially by triple Weber carburetors, and later by Lucas fuel-injection. They provided very good road holding in conjunction with the small back seats and generous trunk made the car an enjoyable and usable touring car. This particular example is a Spyder from 1964 and is thus fitted with disc front brakes and the 5 speed gearbox, a significant improvement over the all around drums and 4spd of earlier cars. The car has Lucas fuel injection which brings their famous noise to an already sweet soundtrack. The car has the desirable Borrani wire wheels, which were an expensive option when the car was new. A comprehensive restoration to high standards with a color change to Red/Black and a new/used block was carried out in the US in 1982 by its then well known Maserati collector/owner. The current owner purchased the car in Monte Carlo in 2001 and immediately employed companies to rebuilt the engine, return the paint and bodywork, and redo the interior back to its original livery of Silver/Blue. The engine, electronics and mechanicals were done by a leading UK Maserati Specialist.